Shutterstock has launched its eighth annual Oscar Pop! poster series to celebrate the best picture nominees in the 92nd Academy Awards. Each of the posters features photos, vectors, textures and illustrations from Shutterstock’s collection of over 300 million images while drawing inspiration from world-famous pop artists.
The artists selected to serve as an influence for the designs range from contemporary to classic, and chaotic to minimalist. With distinctive elements such as the oversaturated colors of Japanese contemporary artist Yayoi Kusama and iconic imagery like the unmistakable swimming pool from influential British artist David Hockney, each design is a retelling of a best picture nominee. The vibrant and sometimes playful colors, styles and techniques of pop artists offer fresh and unexpected perspectives on this year’s top films, which tell a variety of powerful and captivating stories.
● 1917 inspired by David Carson and designed by JC Moreno
● Ford v Ferrari inspired by Takashi Murakami and designed by Alice Lee
● Jojo Rabbit inspired by Yayoi Kusama and designed by Thanh Nguyen
● Joker inspired by Daniel Norris and designed by Jackalyne Castillo
● Little Women inspired by Pauline Boty and designed by Alex Clem
● Marriage Story inspired by Robert Indiana and designed by Flo Lau
● Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood inspired by David Hockney designed by Ian Calleja
● Parasite inspired by Saul Bass designed by Nicole Dai
● The Irishman inspired by Thierry Guetta and designed by Alex Bodin
“From depressed divorcées and supportive sisters to action heroes and comic book villains, this year’s nominated films provide a surplus of inspiration for our designers to create this unique poster series,” said Mike McCabe, VP, Creative at Shutterstock. “Not only does this tradition serve as a fun exercise for our creative team to explore the depth of the Shutterstock collection as a customer, but it also demonstrates the unique ways in which the incredible artwork of our contributor community can be recombined to create something new.” See the full Oscar Pop! Poster series here.
In addition to the celebratory Oscars Pop! poster series, Shutterstock will be in prime positions at the 92nd Academy Awards ceremony on Sunday, February 9th, covering celebrity arrivals on the red carpet, as well as the press room and a number of after-parties. Watch as the photos come in live here.