Shutterstock has launched a creative poster series to mark the 15th anniversary of the company’s founding. To celebrate, Shutterstock’s in-house design team selected one iconic moment from each of the past 15 years and created a poster to represent the historic event. Each of the designs are created using imagery from Shutterstock’s collection of over 200 million images, also highlighting the incredible artwork of Shutterstock’s contributor community which has grown to over 400,000.
Since its founding in 2003, Shutterstock has marked a number of company milestones, from reaching its first 300,000 images in year 2005 (now over 200 million) to surpassing over 1 billion image, video and music licenses sold earlier this year. In that time, the world has also seen historic moments including Angela Merkel becoming the first female chancellor of Germany in 2005 and NASA’s Curiosity rover landing on Mars in 2012.
The list of iconic moments include:
- 2003 – Mapping of the Human Genome
- 2004 – Launch of Facebook
- 2005 – Angela Merkel elected as Germany’s first female Chancellor
- 2006 – Disney’s acquisition of Pixar
- 2007 – Release of the first iPhone
- 2008 – Barack Obama, first African-American President of the U.S., elected
- 2009 – Oldest skeleton of human ancestor found
- 2010 – Worst oil spill in U.S. history takes place in the Gulf of Mexico
- 2011 – Game of Thrones premieres on HBO
- 2012 – NASA’s Curiosity rover lands on Mars
- 2013 – Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- 2014 – Germany wins FIFA World Cup in Brazil
- 2015 – Same-sex marriage becomes legal across the U.S.
- 2016 – Pokémon Go shows the possibilities for augmented reality
- 2017 – #MeToo movement goes global
“In 2003, I recognized a need in the marketplace for commercially licensed photos. Since then, we’ve made incredible strides forward in becoming a global creative platform thanks to the work and dedication of not only our customers and contributors, but also our team of more than 1000 employees around the world. 15 years ago we couldn’t have predicted all the remarkable achievements and milestones we would accomplish together,” said Founder and CEO, Jon Oringer. “Over the next 15 years, we will continue to focus our efforts on enhancing the best-in-class customer and contributor experience, offering a creative platform with the highest-quality content and increasingly precise search tools powered by our custom deep learning and AI technology. There’s so much opportunity for Shutterstock in the years ahead and I’m excited for what’s to come.” Explore the full collection of posters celebrating Shutterstock’s 15th Anniversary here.
Headquartered in New York City, Shutterstock has offices around the world and customers in more than 150 countries. The company also owns Bigstock, a value-oriented stock media agency; Shutterstock Custom, a custom content creation platform; Offset, a high-end image collection; PremiumBeat a curated royalty-free music library; and Rex Features, a premier source of editorial images for the world’s media.